Have you heard of my fan club? “The Sweet Peas” (as they call themselves) are a group composed of my dear friends, Allie and Meghann. These two are always sending love and support for everything on Sweet Pea Living. As a thank you for their unwavering positivity and encouragement, I had them over for dinner a few weeks ago. Somehow I knew exactly what I wanted to make for them. After all, what’s better than a simmering pot of French Onion Soup? Almost nothing, that’s what!
This recipe has quickly become a favorite of ours (I’ve made it three times in the last three weeks… not kidding) and I hope that you enjoy it as much as we do! When you make it, be sure to tag @sweet.pea.living and use the hashtag #sweetpealiving on Instagram.
Vegetarian French Onion Soup
- 4 tbsp butter unsalted
- 3 white onions sliced thinly
- 3 red onions sliced thinly
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes*
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- crusty bread sliced into bite-sized pieces
- Parmesan cheese
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Saute until all the onions and mushrooms are soft and brown.
- Add the flour. Stir in a figure-eight motion until the flour has been absorbed by the onions and becomes sticky.
- Add bay leaves, thyme, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper, balsamic vinegar, red wine, and vegetable broth. Simmer for 15-20 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Place a few bread pieces at the bottom of individual-serving oven-safe bowls.**
- Use a ladle to fill each bowl with soup. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is brown and crispy.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Sharing is caring! I would love it if you pinned this recipe.