I was brainstorming recipes for the blog last week and I wrote down a list of the dishes that my mom made when I was growing up (shout-out to Mama J for always providing us with the best food). In my list of meals, there were several that I have strong memories of my whole family absolutely loving. You know the ones… where everyone sprints to the kitchen table when they’re called for dinner and when there’s not a plate that hasn’t been licked clean by the end of the meal. The best kind of meals, I would say!
I’m sure that you have your own recipes that fit this description, but for me Beef Stroganoff was a meal that everyone in my family loved. We didn’t have it often, but I remember being absolutely joyful when I came home to the smells of stroganoff simmering on the stove. The sweet, delicate egg noodles covered in deep, rich sauce and caramelized mushrooms was mouthwatering. Who’s with me?!
I realized that I hadn’t made stroganoff since switching to our mostly-vegetarian diet 3 years ago. And why on Earth not?! Creating a vegan version of this dish was honestly so easy. I think we’re going to have to make this a permanent dinner recipe in our monthly meal planning!
Totally Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 lbs sliced mushrooms baby portobello
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ½ tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup vegan sour cream
- green onion chopped for garnish
- fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- 12 oz wide pasta ribbons cooked
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and red onion to the skillet. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms to the skillet and saute for 5-10 minutes, until tender and caramelized.
- Add flour and mix continuously for 1-2 minutes. The mixture should become thick.
- Add red wine and deglaze, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Add vegetable broth, black pepper, salt, and sour cream. Mix well and heat until fully combined.
- Spoon mushroom mixture over cooked noodles and garnish with chopped green onion and parsley. Serve hot and enjoy!