When Jason and I are craving pizza for dinner, one of two things typically happens. (1) We order pizza from our favorite Chicago pizzeria (shoutout to Lou Malnati’s) and we eat deep dish pizza until we both feel sick; or (2) I make some easy homemade pizza dough and we curb our cravings without creating that all-too-familiar pizza hangover. I’ve made a lot of pizzas at home, and of all the pizzas I’ve made, this one is always my favorite.
Let’s be honest, good vegan pizza is hard to find. While tomato-based sauces are easily created without using dairy, it’s no surprise that white sauces can be a little more tricky. In this recipe, I created a rich and creamy vegan white sauce with mayonnaise (veganaise), tahini, and garlic. It’s reminds me of a garlic aioli. It’s absolutely delicious served alongside artichokes, tomatoes, and red onion!
Are you craving a pizza night in your home? This recipe is perfect for you! When you make this dish, don’t forget to tag Sweet Pea Living on Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag #sweetpealiving to share it. I can’t wait to see how your pizza turn out!
Vegan Artichoke Pizza
Dough (Creates 3 Pizzas)
- 1 ⅓ cups water heated to 90°F
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 ½ cup bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp bread machine yeast
Toppings (Per Pizza)
- ½ cup veganaise (vegan mayonnaise)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 14 oz can artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- ¼ cup red onion sliced and sauteed
- 1 Roma tomato sliced
- ½ cup Mozzarella shreds vegan or regular
- 1 oz basil chopped
- Combine dough ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until well blended. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise for 90 minutes, preferably near a heat source.
- Place pizza stone or pan in oven. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a clean surface. Transfer dough onto parchment paper. Divide dough into thirds.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten ⅓ of the dough to desired crust thickness. Roll edges of dough to create crust.
- Mix veganaise, tahini, minced garlic, and fresh ground pepper in a small bowl. Spread evenly over dough. Top with artichoke hearts, red onion, tomato, and cheese.
- Use parchment paper to transfer pizza to oven. Bake on pizza stone (with parchment paper) or pan on center rack for 20-25 minutes, until crust is crispy and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh basil. Cut, serve hot and enjoy!