The holidays have gone and unfortunately everyone is back at work. Womp womp, I know. I also know the challenge of getting home at 6:00 pm and needing a healthy meal on the table as quickly and easily as possible. At this time of year, it’s hard to work up any motivation to cook after a long day of work, am I right? Have no fear because this Tofu Fried Rice is here to help! You can whip this tasty dish up in under 30 minutes and with minimal dishes. This has become such a staple in our monthly meals, it’s a wonder that I haven’t shared this recipe with you all sooner!
Two things I want to point out to you before you go… (1) I make this recipe on the spicier side. You can add as much or as little of the spicy chili garlic sauce as you’d like and it won’t impact the overall flavor of the dish; and (2) this dish is best if you use rice that was cooked and refrigerated overnight. I typically make the rice just before I go to bed and then throw it in the fridge. Okay! Go ahead and give this recipe a try during your next busy weeknight and don’t forget to tag Sweet Pea Living on Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag #sweetpealiving to share it. I would love to see how this recipe turns out for you!
Spicy Tofu Fried Rice
- 14 oz extra firm tofu pressed and cubed into ¼ inch cubes
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- 10 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 5 large carrots shredded
- 5 cups whole grain or white rice cooked (1-day-old preferred)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup chili garlic sauce*
- 6 green onions chopped
- Sriracha optional for serving
- In a large nonstick pan, heat to tofu cubes over high heat for 5 – 7 minutes, until browned on most sides. Set aside.
- In a large dutch oven, heat the peanut oil over medium heat until shimmery.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add ginger and saute for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add onion, celery, and carrots. Saute for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add rice and mix well.
- Add sesame oil, soy sauce, and chili garlic sauce. Mix well and add tofu. Heat for 3 – 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Garnish with green onions and Sriracha. Serve hot and enjoy!