Tacos are one of our favorite weeknight dinners and they have only gotten better since we bought an air fryer last year. I have found that the very best way to get crispy, crunchy tofu tacos is by using a convectional air-fryer oven to bake the tofu. Sometimes I coat tofu with Panko breadcrumbs, but for this recipe I used Chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, and a coat of cornstarch. The tofu bakes quickly and is so flavorful when done!
In this recipe, I use a simple homemade coleslaw to balance out the heat and spice of the tofu. The coleslaw is made with shredded green cabbage, carrots, Chipotle peppers in adobe sauce (for a little extra kick), Greek yogurt, vinegar, sugar, and celery seed. After biting into my first taco, I was reminded of my favorite fish tacos from Cancun. Man, how I miss being able to go to Mexico! This recipe brings me back, though. Yum! It is the perfect reminder of warming weather during winter Chicago weather.
If you have an air fryer (or a convection oven), be sure to make this recipe and when you do, don’t forget to tag Sweet Pea Living on Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag #sweetpealiving to share it! You can also let me know how this recipe goes by leaving a comment below. I can’t wait to see how these Spicy Coleslaw Tofu Tacos turn out for you… They’re so delicious!
Spicy Coleslaw Tofu Tacos
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ white vinegar
- ¼ sugar
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 6 cups green cabbage shredded
- 2 cups carrots shredded
- 7 oz Chipotle peppers in Adobe sauce minced
- 14 oz extra firm tofu pressed and cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 1½ tsp Chili powder
- 1½ tsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 6 flour tortillas
- cilantro chopped
- Mexican cheese shredded
- red onion sliced
- hot sauce
- Combine coleslaw ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and move to a refrigerator.
- In a separate bowl, combine tofu with spices and mix well. Add cornstarch and toss until tofu is covered.
- Bake tofu in air-fryer (or convection oven) at 400°F for 20 minutes. Shake/toss tofu after 10 minutes.
- Assemble tacos by layering coleslaw, cheese, baked tofu, cilantro, red onion, and hot sauce. Serve immediately and enjoy!