Chilly Sunday afternoons were made for simmering soup. Lately I have been craving chicken noodle soup (probably a combination of the weather and my on-going cold) so I thought that I would make a spicy, vegan version of this soup for the blog. I am so happy with how it turned out! I used hot giardiniera as the base of the soup then added garlic, onion, red pepper flakes, Sazon, salt, celery and carrots. I used the method in Jason’s Pasta Fagioli to saute the vegetables. It didn’t take long to go from a few fresh ingredients to a delicious, simmering pot of soup!
Chickpeas were the perfect substitute for chicken in this recipe. They are not only hearty, but they are also packed with protein. We didn’t miss the meat at all! Additionally, I used egg noodles (as opposed to rotini or elbows) in this recipe. You can mix it up with your favorite pasta, though! I would suggest under-cooking the noodles before adding them to the soup. They turn out perfectly al dente once everything has cooled down.
Be sure to make this recipe and when you do, be sure to tag Sweet Pea Living on Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag #sweetpealiving to share it! You can also let me know how this recipe goes by leaving a comment below. I can’t wait to see how these delicious lunch recipe turns out for you… you’re going to love it!
Spicy Chickpea Noodle Soup
- ¼-½ cup giardiniera mild, hot, or extra hot
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes or less, depending on preferences
- 1 tbsp Sazon seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup celery minced
- 1 cup carrots minced
- 30 oz chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 8 oz egg noodles cooked
- Italian parsley for garnish
- In a large dutch oven, heat giardiniera, garlic, and onion over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add crushed red pepper flakes, Sazon seasoning, salt, carrots, and celery. Mix well and saute for an addition 4-5 minutes.
- Once vegetables are sauteed and tender, add chickpeas and broth. Bring to a boil. Meanwhile, cook your egg noodles in a separate pot.
- Add cooked noodles to dutch oven and garnish with parsley. Serve hot and enjoy!