By now you know that I’m a big fan of homemade pizzas. The dough is super easy to make and the flavor beats anything that could be delivered to our door. This pizza recipe is my husband’s favorite because it has all of his favorite things: fresh vegetables, crushed red pepper flakes, and a ton of raw garlic. I think it’s safe to say that he enjoys life’s simple pleasures.
Before I made this pizza, my husband suggested that I saute the bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms before adding them to the dough. This was a great idea because it prevented the vegetables from sweating all over our beautiful sauce and crispy crust. When you make this recipe, don’t forget to tag Sweet Pea Living on Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag #sweetpealiving to share it. I would love to see how your pizzas turn out!
Spicy Broccoli & Bell Pepper Pizza
Dough (Creates 3 Pizzas)
- 1 ⅓ cups water heated to 90°F
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 ½ cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp bread machine yeast
Toppings (Per Pizza)
- 6 oz marinara sauce
- ½ red bell pepper sliced and sauted
- ½ green bell pepper sliced and sauted
- ½ orange bell pepper sliced and sauted
- ½ red onion sliced and sauted
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced and sauted
- 1 cup broccoli florets sauted
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese vegan or regular
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- Combine dough ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until well blended. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise for 90 minutes, preferably near a heat source.
- Place pizza stone or pan in oven. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a clean surface. Transfer dough onto parchment paper. Divide dough into thirds.
- Transfer dough to a floured baking mat. Divide the dough in half. Set one half aside and roll out the other half of the dough to desired crust thickness.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten ⅓ of the dough to desired crust thickness. Roll edges of dough to create crust.
- Spread marinara sauce over pizza dough. Top with cooked vegetables, broccoli, salt, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, and minced garlic.
- Use parchment paper to transfer pizza to oven. Bake on pizza stone (with parchment paper) or pan on center rack for 20-25 minutes, until crust is crispy and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and rest for 3-5 minutes. Cut, serve hot and enjoy!