These days I’ve been filling my time with baking and cooking… a LOT of baking and cooking. Around day 14 of our shelter-in-place order, I began running out of recipe ideas (no surprises there). Feeling uninspired by absolutely everything, I looked around our apartment for ideas. Just out of the corner of my eye, I saw a recipe box given to me at my bridal shower. Woohoo! Three (almost four) years ago, my closest family and friends gave me versions of their favorite recipes. My inspiration returned!
These breakfast biscuits are based on a recipe that my cousin, Hanna, gave to me. When I found her recipe card, I was super excited because (1) I had all the necessary ingredients on hand and (2) I freaking love biscuits. Shout-out to Ms. Hanna for helping me finding some baking inspiration in this time of isolation! I know you will all love this recipe from her.
Are you ready for these? I know you are because they are super simple and easy to make! When you make this recipe, don’t forget to tag Sweet Pea Living on Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag #sweetpealiving to share it. I can’t wait to see how this dish turns out for you!
Simple & Easy Breakfast Biscuits
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose baking flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- ⅓ cup butter unsalted, cut into thin slices
- 1 cup oat milk, regular milk, or buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add butter to the flour mixture. Mix until dough resembles coarse meal.
- Gradually stir in milk, until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a floured baking mat. Knead 15-20 times. Roll dough out so that it is about 1-inch thick (the thicker the dough, the higher the rise on the biscuits).
- Use a cutter or floured glass to cut out biscuits. Brush off the excess flour and place biscuits on an un-greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until edges begin to brown slightly.
- Serve fresh with berry jam or butter. Enjoy!