It has been too long, friends! As many of you know, I recently underwent a big life change… After getting a new job, my husband and I made the exciting decision to MOVE (!!!) to Columbia, South Carolina! Over the past few months and weeks, I’ve been packing up our home and making plans for the big move. If you’ve ever done something like this before, you know that moving can be very stressful. I wanted to keep my head in a healthy state during this transition, so I decided to take a break from the blog. However, I am so excited to be back in action! You know I love being in my kitchen and sharing meals with all of you.
I’ve said this before but it bears repeating… salad hasn’t always been at the top of my “favorite foods” list. However, my husband and I had been gorging on junk food during our transition down south and we suddenly found ourselves craving large salads for lunches and dinners. Honestly, this is so unlike me. My body was really struggling! This Protein-Packed Couscous & Kale Salad was the answer to our tummies’ prayers. I am going to be adding this to our weekly rotation for sure!
If you are on a salad kick like us, be sure to check out our other salad recipes.
- Greek Quinoa Salad
- Sweet Strawberry & Walnut Salad
- Easy & Classic Garden Salad
- Spinach, Broccoli, & Blueberry Salad
- The Perfect Dinner Side-Salad
- Fresh Lemon & Dill Salad
Give this salad (or any other) a try and let me know what you think! Be sure to tag Sweet Pea Living on Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag #sweetpealiving to share it. You can also let me know how this recipe goes by leaving a comment below. I can’t wait to see how this delicious salad turns out for you!
Protein-Packed Couscous & Kale Salad
- 5 cups kale thick stems removed, leaves chopped fine
- 6 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 cup dried couscous
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 cucumber sliced
- 6 green onions white and green parts thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 tbsp roasted pistachio nuts chopped
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, place the kale and lime juice. Mix well so the leaves are well coated. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, curry powder, cumin, and paprika. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and couscous. Mix well.
- Cook over medium heat, uncovered, until the liquid has been absorbed and the couscous is al dente, 5 to 10 minutes. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons water toward the end of cooking if the liquid is absorbed and the couscous starts to stick to the pan. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add the tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumber, green onion, parsley, and basil to the bowl with the reserved kale. Add cooled couscous and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Top with avocado slices and pistachios.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve and enjoy!
Sharing is caring! We would love it if you saved this recipe on Pinterest.