We were down to our last bag of #quarantinefail potatoes when my husband not-so-casually asked me if I had ever considered making a vegetable stew for the blog. I brushed him off at first, but after he asked for a third time (persistent much?) I knew I would need to give in. This recipe took some brainstorming because I wanted a stew that was rich and hearty, but still vegetarian and vegan. Let me tell you, this one does not disappoint! It’s everything that you want in a hearty beef stew, but without the beef. This dish is perfect for a rainy spring day or throughout the blustery winter months. Either way, it really warms the heart!
Are you craving something warm and hearty? Or do you need something that is both delicious and budget-friendly? Either way, this Hearty Summer Vegetable Stew is for you! When you make this recipe, don’t forget to tag Sweet Pea Living on Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag #sweetpealiving to share it! You can also let me know how this recipe goes by leaving a comment below. I can’t wait to see how this stew turns out for you!
Hearty Summer Vegetable Stew
- 8 cloves garlic peeled and whole
- 2 ribs celery minced
- 10 oz cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2 star anise whole
- 1 tsp rosemary dried
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce vegan
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 28 oz can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 2 large potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 10 oz pearl onions frozen and peeled
- 1 cup peas
- 1 tbsp cornstarch + 1 tbsp cold water mixture for thickening (optional)
- horseradish sauce diluted with vegan mayonnaise
- Heat garlic cloves, celery, and yellow onion over medium heat in a large dutch oven. Saute until the onion is fragrant and soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook on medium-high until caramelized.
- Add star anise, rosemary, Italian seasoning, worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar. Deglaze any brown spots in your pan.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, and pearl onions. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add peas and cornstarch mixture. Stir to thicken and simmer until potatoes and carrots are fork tender.
- Serve hot with garnishes and enjoy!
Sharing is caring! We’d appreciate it if you saved this recipe on Pinterest!