This lock down has really forced us to consider all the things that we’ve taken for granted. I don’t think I’ve ever fully appreciated the gift of going out to eat with friends. What I wouldn’t give to sit at our favorite restaurant and be waited on… I’ve been dreaming of the words, “Are you guys ready to order?“. But on the bright side (because there’s always a bright side), I’ve started to think about my favorite restaurant dishes and how I can recreate them in our home. This Golden Lentil Shakshuka was inspired by my favorite brunch dish at Milwaukee’s Story Hill BKC.
Whenever we visit Eric and Abbie in Milwaukee, we make a stop at Story Hill BKC. The food, atmosphere, and drinks are always THE BEST. It’s upsetting to know that we won’t be visiting our friends or this beloved place for a looooooong while. The only thing I can do to cope is to try and recreate my favorite brunch dish for all of you. This one does not disappoint!
The secret to this dish is in the sumac mayonnaise. I’ve never cooked with sumac before, but it’s a freaking game changer. Sumac is an absolutely magical ingredient, like goat cheese or garlic both of which are also in this recipe)! Sumac is tangy, lemony, and totally addicting. You should make this dish JUST for the sumac mayonnaise. I’m not kidding.
When you make this recipe, be sure to tag Sweet Pea Living on Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag #sweetpealiving to share it. Or let me know how this recipe goes by leaving a comment below. I can’t wait to see how this brunch recipe turns out for you… I think you’re going to love it!
Golden Lentil Shakshuka
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 roasted ancho chili peppers optional
- 4 oz tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth separated
- 15 oz can golden lentils drained and rinsed*
- 5 eggs
- 3 oz goat cheese crumbled
- cilantro chopped
- naan bread
- ½ tsp ground sumac
- ½ tsp fresh thyme leaves chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- Combine Sumac Mayonnaise ingredients in a small bowl. Rest in the fridge.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add garlic and onion. Saute for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add bell pepper, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt. Saute for 3-4 minutes, until tender.
- Add diced tomatoes, ancho chili peppers, tomato paste, and 1 cup vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Add lentils and mix well. Add second cup of vegetable broth. Simmer.
- Meanwhile, crack eggs into a non-stick pan and cook to your preference. We like our yolks to be runny!
- Move eggs to the shakshuka dish. Garnish with sumac mayonnaise, crumbled goat cheese, and cilantro. Serve hot with naan and enjoy!