My work has not surprisingly gotten very busy lately. I have recently taken on the tasks and responsibilities of three different jobs (four if you count the blog) and I have suddenly have found my time slipping away each day with new, exciting opportunities. While I love the many projects that I am constantly working on, I have been struggling to keep up with our dinner schedule. My long, empty days in quarantine are gone and I can no longer spend hours making homemade raviolis or sourdough bread. I’m not worried though! As with every challenge I face, I am using it as an opportunity to adapt and grow. That’s how this Crispy Cashew Tofu recipe came to be!
When I was meal planning last week, I mapped out recipes that were easy to prep and even easier to cook. For me, an “easy” recipe has a small number of ingredients and doesn’t require a ton of chopping time. That might sound weird to you, but when you eat vegetarian food, the bulk of your time is spent preparing vegetables… I thought, “What’s easier than marinated tofu, rice, and broccoli?” Answer: very few things. I mixed the sauce, set the tofu to rest, and pulled this meal together in under 20 minutes!
This recipe is inspired by my mama’s Cashew Chicken dish — a family favorite of ours. It’s absolutely delicious and so easy to make, especially for anyone who finds themselves a little busier than usual! As always, when you make this recipe, please don’t forget to tag Sweet Pea Living on Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag #sweetpealiving to share it. I would love to see how this one turns out for you!
Crispy Cashew Tofu & Rice
- Air Fryer
- 28 oz extra firm tofu drained, pressed, and cubed
- 4 tbsp sherry
- 6 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup roasted cashews
- 4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- white rice cooked
- broccoli steamed
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Combine tofu, sherry, and low sodium soy sauce in a small bowl. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Drain tofu and return to the bowl. Add sesame oil and crushed red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Preheat your air fryer to 370°F. Add tofu blocks to your air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- While tofu cooks, combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked tofu, sauce and cashews. Stir until well coated and warmed through.
- Serve with white rice and broccoli. Top with green onions and sesame seeds.
Sharing is caring! We’d love it if you saved this recipe on Pinterest.