Ask anyone in my family and you’ll know that my Mama makes the best cheesy grits. One of my favorite smells from the kitchen is a bubbling, buttery, ooey-gooey casserole filled with grits. It’s incredible! These grits are one of my all-time favorite side dishes and recently I’ve learned how to make them! Jason and I love having these grits with roasted vegetables, toast, and even on their own! If you’ve never had grits before (or if you’ve ever had a bad experience with grits), I hope that you give this recipe a chance. It is a game changer — I promise!
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think! Be sure to tag Sweet Pea Living on Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag #sweetpealiving to share it. You can also let me know how this recipe goes by leaving a comment below. I can’t wait to see how this easy grits dish turns out for you!
Cheesy Southern Grits
- 4 cups water
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup uncooked grits
- 2 eggs beaten
- 8 tbsp 1 stick butter
- ¾ cup Monterey Jack cheese grated
- ¾ cup Cheddar cheese grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bring water and salt to a boil. Add grits to boiling water, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until grits are thick and creamy.
- Melt butter in a small bowl. Crack two eggs into a second small bowl and whisk with a fork. Temper the eggs by slowly whisking them into the melted butter. Mix eggs and butter into grits and stir to combine.
- Stir in cheeses, garlic, cayenne pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Pour grits into a 2-quart casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve with fried eggs, roasted vegetables, or your favorite breakfast foods and enjoy!
Sharing is caring! We’d love it if you saved this recipe on Pinterest!