The weather has been brutal lately. Chicago has gifted us with constant below freezing temperatures, snowfall, and gusty winds… I’m not surprised by this at all but it has been difficult to stay warm in our little apartment! This is probably why I have been craving warm, sizzling Mexican food for the past month. My Spicy Coleslaw Tofu Tacos and Vegan Tortilla Soup recipes have been keeping us warm but I can’t make those every night! Alas, I figured it was time to create a totally vegan fajita recipe for the blog. Luckily for me, these Bell Pepper & Mushroom Vegan Fajitas don’t disappoint!
Mushrooms are the perfect substitute for fajita-seasoned chicken or steak. They are not only hearty in flavor, but they are also easy to digest and filled with antioxidants. Trust me when I say that we didn’t miss the meat at all. For serving, we used flour tortillas. You can mix it up with corn tortillas or create fajita bowls with rice and/or lettuce, as well. The options are endless!
Be sure to make this recipe and when you do, be sure to tag Sweet Pea Living on Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag #sweetpealiving to share it! You can also let me know how this recipe goes by leaving a comment below. I can’t wait to see how this delicious recipe turns out for you… you’re going to love it!
Bell Pepper & Mushroom Vegan Fajitas
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 16 oz Portobello mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 3 bell peppers any color
- 2 Poblano peppers diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ lime juiced
- 8 flour tortillas
- cilantro chopped
- avocado sliced
- hot sauce
- In a large stainless steel pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and mushrooms. Saute for 3-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add bell peppers, poblano peppers, jalapenos, garlic, and seasonings. Saute for 10-15 minutes until all water is evaporated.
- Add lime juice and mix well.
- Serve on tortillas and garnish with cilantro, avocado, and hot sauce. Serve hot and enjoy!